Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Four Way Books Poet, Rigoberto Gonzalez Featured By Academy of American Poets


We are thrilled to say that an excerpt of Rigoberto Gonzalez's poem "La Pelona as Birdwoman" is now on Poets.org, the Academy of American Poets' website. Congratulations, Rigoberto!


Tonight
I dared to crawl
beneath the sheets

to be nailed down
around me,
waiting for my lover, she

who enters
without knocking, she
who will unstitch

my every seam
along my thigh,
my side, my armpit.

She who carves
a heart out of the heart
and drops it

down her throat.
Sweet surrender this
slow death in sleep

as I dream
the love-making
is autopsy. How else

will I be hers completely? Be her
treasure box I said:

a trove of pearls
and stones,
the ding of coins cascading

through her fingers.
The bird over her shoulder
not a parrot, but an owl

to be my mirror
when I close my eyes
and shape a moon-white

bowl out of my face
where she can wash
the hooks of her caress.


Click here to visit Poets.org and to hear Gonzalez's poem. If you want to learn more about this wonderful writer's work, visit Four Way Books.